Sunday, June 20, 2010

Back to blogging - Post 2

So, to pick up from the previous post, I will write about what I do and some other things.

I now work in Pre-sales in a Tier-1 firm, where my works revolves around responding to RFPs (Request for proposals) which in itself involved highly technical activities such as effort estimation, designing technical architectures and the like. Apart from this, I also support the frontline sales teams in their sales efforts through building collateral, decks etc. etc.Many of my XL' classmates are in similar pre-sales positions in other Tier-1/2 firms.

I used to work in this same firm before my MBA in a Service Delivery Role, and have now moved to pre-sales. Personally, I dont find any differentiation that the MBA has done, except for a grade promotion, which I would have got anyways had I continued in my job. My own team consists mostly of people coming from delivery roles. There are some times when my MBA skills are helpful (e.g. building financial models, understanding the business domain aspects in the deal) but such situations are few.

Neverthless, any learning experience is valuable in its own right, and XL definitely gave me a good grounding in many fields.

But I feel the 1 Year MBA concept is still in early stages of being accepted in India, and very few of them have a clear plan of how best to utilize 1-Yr MBA grads and defining a unique career path for them in recognition of their skills. I have heard similar sentiments echoed by 1-Yr MBA grads, that there is not much clarity in their career path.

Maybe there is some merit in foreign MBAs after all, despite the high tuition fee and the risks one has to take.

6 comments:

azo said...

study for knowledge, work for money, knowledge and money for living

Simha said...

hi..

I am a 2012 passout of XLRI..I would like to talk to you regarding some advice specially on career..can you gimme your number or email to contact you..please mail me on simha.bala21@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would like to talk to you. Can you please drop a line to me at rajat.mittal24@yahoo.com? I am a GMPian of 2014-2015 batch.

Unknown said...

This blog is really very nice. The information provided is here is helpful for me. There have been very good colleges accepting CAT, CMAT, XAT ,MAT scores. I have also found another site that is BookMyColleges that also provides counseling that would definitely help you in selecting of a better college .

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this information but I have found a new platform where you can check your own score through MAT Percentile Predictor: Check Now tool that evaluate your percentile according to your performance. So go to the link for MAT Percentile Predictor. For more information visit BookMyColleges.