Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Work Culture

I was reading this article in HBR today and found it interesting to learn about a company where employees negotiated with Senior Management, to ensure they didn't have to check and respond to calls or Blackberry messages after work hours.

Unfortunately, respect for an individual's time outside work is something that is yet to gain acceptance in our society. Especially among the IT clan, where onsite-offshore interaction is common, onsite counterparts regularly call folks at offshore outside office hours, which in itself stretches to late evening. Similarly, there is a tendency to stretch our work-day beyond the required hours, just to avoid the bosses glare.

As a fellow colleague mentioned to me, it is time we changed the workplace, to restore some respect to work/life balance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
It was nice reading your posts..

I'm also aspiring to do GMP from XLRI for 2012.
Im sincerely looking forward for guidance.
Thank you for your Time.

shwetasatyanarayana@live.in

The Wandering Soul said...

Hi

I am Anuj. I read your comment http://mbawarcry.blogspot.com/2008/01/mccombs-submitted.html

I am applying to Ross and Mccombs. and I was looking for some pointers.Hope we can have a small chat sometime.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

@Wandering Soul,

I got dinged at both McCombs and Ross. So, not sure I qualify for advice! Neverthless, send me your e-mail ID, and I can share my application experiences.

Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Shweta,

Good luck for your XL app. Let me know if you have any queries. You can also check the pagalguy threads for GMP, which proved very helpful to me when I applied.